Monday 9 November 2015

30 Day Challenge: DAY ??? A-Two-For-One Post

I've skipped some days, it seems. Hockey has taken over my life, as it does every winter. I don't mind so much, but will now cram two posts into one:


1. Do you have any tattoos and do they have special meaning?

Yes. I have one, on my lower back. It's a small, ancient Eyptian symbol meaning, "Freedom" something I valued highly in my 20s. I have never regretted getting it, only wish for more. Strangely, I do not have a photo of it. Must right that soon.

I'd like one to represent my sons, who are my most favourite people in the world. This is one I've been mulling over. It's a Celtic symbol for motherhood:






2. A book I love, a book I didn't.

One of my most favourite books ever is called "One Child" by Torey Hayden. I read it first when I was about 12, again as I entered my 20s and have read a half dozen times since. Torey, a teacher, tells the true story of a little girl who came into her Special Education class during the 1970s. Sheila, was wild and broken, but throughout their time together, the two formed an intense bond and ultimately, Torey's dedication and love for Sheila, transformed them both.



I now work as an EA, working with students with special needs. Entire passages of the book, are especially poignant to me now and come to my mind in full paragraphs. I wonder, sometimes, at the seeds planted, all those years ago.


One of my least favourite books is "The Shack" - a story about a man called "Mack" who loses a child, meets God, finds peace and redemption. The book was written, I suppose, to be uplifting and spiritual but  I was left feeling manipulated and depressed. I forced myself to finish it, but immediately wished that I hadn't.



No comments:

Post a Comment