Sunday 1 November 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge: DAY ONE

*Last month, a friend tagged me on Facebook, offered up this challenge. Happily, I accept!*




Day One:
5 Problems With Social Media


1. That the person we craft ourselves to be on social media, is NOT, in fact, the person we ARE.

We, as a society, are presenting only our best selves, our polished homes, our shiniest moments. Some people feel that this is the same thing as lying.

Maybe it is, but somehow this doesn't bother me as much as it probably should.

Why WOULDN'T I want you to see my children smiling instead of rolling their eyes, my hair on a good day instead of a usual one and be offered a glimpse of the state of my mind kitchen most mornings, versus last night when I was just too tired to deal?

2. When other people post photos of me on Facebook.

I want to grab those people and shake them and say, "Are you SERIOUS, right now? Why would you DO that?"

Cut that sh*t out, people! If I have more than one chin in the photo, either because of the angle at which the photo was taken or because I have gained too much weight, I DON'T WANT TO SEE ME on Facebook. Unless I've vetted myself beforehand. (Please see #1)

3. That online relationships and friendships are shallow and one-dimensional.

I think I'm supposed to agree with that one, too. Except that I don't. Well, not entirely. SOME of my online friendships are superficial and light and I like them that way. Other online relationships are rich and full and enrich my life in ways I sometimes feel that I don't deserve.

I need and appreciate both kinds, as much as I appreciate that I can engage or not with all of my peeps when it works for me.

I am NOT, as it turns out, the kind of person who appreciates pop-bys, in real life or on social media. I need a moment to take a breath before opening the door (or Facebook) to others - just as I enjoy the chance to type out my thoughts before sharing them (I often don't know what I think or feel until I've written it.) This perk in not available to me in real life, where I often speak before thinking and say the wrong thing...

4. Social media encourages "hashtag thinking" and the dumbing down of big thoughts.

Ever tried to distill a thought, idea or phrase into 140 characters, well? It's an art form. It's a mental challenge, it's a gift and it's not a dumbing down...it's a lifting up. The ability to tease, intrigue and inform in as few words as possible is a  beautiful and charming skill.

As for hashtags...I dig 'em. In the overall, I mean. They add flavour and spice to a simple post and some of my friends plant their best words after the # sign. It's a bit of a fun game, really, finding the wit and wisdom, allsmushedtogetherlikethis.

5.  On social media, some stuff just isn't true.

Yep. Social media is rife with lies and miscommunication. Some people share opinions as though they are FACT and others share lies as though they are TRUTH.

Our computers aren't able to do the critical thinking for us. That's still on US, to do the work.

Go figure.



No comments:

Post a Comment